Rsync rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write ?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Dec 13 14:19:01 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 06:28 -0500, scott at techeffectcomputers.com wrote:
> I am running jungledisk and this is my script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ### Backs up office data to Jungledisk using rsync
> LOGFILE=/var/log/backup-jd.log
> ## Start in rc.local or here
> #/usr/local/bin/jungledisk
> mount /mnt/s3
> echo "`date +"%F %R"`: Start backup-jd" >> $LOGFILE
> rsync -r --inplace --size-only --bwlimit=50 /home/shares/allusers/127 /mnt/s3
> echo "`date +"%F %R"`: Finish backup-jd" >> $LOGFILE
> umount /mnt/s3
>
> Everytime i run i get this error, it driving me nuts! any ideas would be appreciated.
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 32768 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (30 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454) [sender=2.6.9]

To get more information, please strace rsync (which is especially easy
because all of the processes are local) and enable -vvv verbosity level:

strace -f -o /tmp/rsync.log rsync -vvv -r --inplace --size-only --bwlimit=50 /home/shares/allusers/127 /mnt/s3

If this does not make the problem obvious, post the output and I will
take a look.

Matt