problems with rsync 2.6.9 and large files (up to 20GB)

gorka barracuda gorka.barracuda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:01:03 GMT 2007

Hi Matt, thanks for your fastet reply

2007/12/12, Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net>:

> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 14:28 +0100, gorka barracuda wrote:
> > it seems that rsync is working and finishing but when appears the
> > message that summarizes the transferred files rsync starts the backup
> > again (taking a lot of time)

> > sent 640278263924 bytes  received 217256421 bytes  8610488.88
> > bytes/sec
> > total size is 783944943854  speedup is 1.22
> > rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred
> > (code 24) at
> >  main.c(977) [sender=2.6.9]
> >  2007/12/11 17:02:04 del. 0
> > home/jingles/soft/sinc/bin/home/g1benjamin/timel-fre
> > q.po15740
>
> I've never known rsync to start over like that.  Are you using a script
> that runs rsync repeatedly until it exits with code 0?

ops! My apologizes, you are correct, my first version of the script checked
the exits code and it seems that I forgot to comment it :(

Sorry for the inconvenience.

but, the second time that makes this re-rsync it takes the same time that
the first time...it seems that it doen't make an incremental backup with our
large files... Do you think that the cause could be the problem of the new
optimized algorithm that you put in rsync 3.0.0?

> I googled for this problem and I found that there are a patch file to
> > solve this problem (you can see the thread in
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg17815.html ) but
> > I can't found it.
>
> That thread is about an optimization that makes the delta-transfer
> algorithm much faster on large files.  The optimization is included in
> current development versions of rsync 3.0.0.  This probably is not
> related to the problem with rsync starting over.
>
> Matt

Thanks again, and sorry for all

jordi