Permission issue while using rsync.

vasumg at gmail.com vasumg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 07:05:31 GMT 2007

Hi,

Until now we have been using rsync with SSH for copying data across
different sites.
They are bundled within wrappers and are circulated thru' cronjobs.
All the sites exchange data in this way.
It is working fine in all the sites, but except for 1 site. It transfers the
files fine, but it changes the permissions on the files. It does'nt retain
it as per the source nor as per the umask setting of the destination.

Curiously, whatever be the file permission it masks the group and users to
00 and retains the perm for owner.

For ex:

If the source has perm 555, when it reaches the destination in question, it
becomes 500.

If the source has perm 755, when it reaches destination in question, it
becomes 700.

However, If we add the -p bit to rsync, it's retaining the permissions. But
the question is, Till now it was working fine. And, this is happening to
only one hosts among a list of 10 hosts.

The command we are using is;

rsync --inplace --partial --no-whole-file --rsync-path="/usr/bin/rsync" -e
ssh "/localhome/adm/rsync.test" "msctrans at hostname:/tmp/rsync.test"

-vvv option o/p:

opening connection using ssh <hostname> -l msctrans /usr/bin/rsync --server
-vvv --inplace . mscdir/receive/1.SSH
[sender] make_file(1.SSH,*,2)
server_recv(2) starting pid=1424
send_file_list done
send_files starting
recv_file_name(1.SSH)
received 1 names
recv_file_list done
get_local_name count=1 mscdir/receive/1.SSH
recv_files(1) starting
generator starting pid=1424 count=1
delta-transmission enabled
recv_generator(mscdir/receive/1.SSH,0)
send_files(0, /var/opt/ei/msc/transmit/1.SSH)
send_files mapped /var/opt/ei/msc/transmit/1.SSH of size 0
calling match_sums /var/opt/ei/msc/transmit/1.SSH
1.SSH
sending file_sum
false_alarms=0 tag_hits=0 matches=0
sender finished /var/opt/ei/msc/transmit/1.SSH
generate_files phase=1
send_files phase=1
recv_files(mscdir/receive/1.SSH)
got file_sum
finishing mscdir/receive/1.SSH
recv_files phase=1
generate_files phase=2
send_files phase=2
send files finished
total: matches=0  tag_hits=0  false_alarms=0 data=0
recv_files phase=2
generate_files phase=3
recv_files finished
generate_files finished

sent 82 bytes  received 42 bytes  22.55 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
_exit_cleanup(code=0, file=main.c, line=789): about to ca

If I use -p or -a it works fine. But I want to know, what was working all
this time is not working now

and it involves to be changed across different sites.

It would be of great help, if any of you can guide me thru' this.

Thanks in Advance,

Vasuamthi