remote logging non-daemon mode

Doug Lochart dlochart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:59:40 GMT 2007

Greetings all.  Due to security concerns we are switching our backup
processes from "SSH tunnel to rsync daemon" to "Running rsync over ssh
in --server mode".  In daemon mode we had a nice conglomerate log file
of all of the backups that ran.  Now that I am tweaking the scripts to
run over --server mode I see that by default there is no remote
logging.  From what I have read on the man page you turn on remote
logging like this: (cut-n-paste) from man page.

rsync -av --rsync-path="rsync --log-file=/tmp/rlog" src/ dest/

Up until I added this part I had the rsync scripts working fine.  Once
I added this part

--rsync-path="rsync --log-file=/tmp/rlog"

I would get this error:

protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?
(see the rsync man page for an explanation)
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at compat.c(61) [sender=2.6.9]

I turned on heavy debug to see the protocol version info to see what
was happening and I saw this:

(Client) Protocol versions: remote=1701471570, negotiated=29

When I only add this --rsync-path="rsync" it works ok and the versions
are the same.

First Question:  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I assume I am misunderstanding something however I am taking the rsync
manpage literally here.
And yes I have INSURED several times I have the same version of rsync
in both places (trust me on this one)

Even if I am able to get this to work it still may not be what we
want.  Will the log file be overwritten on each successive call?  I
assume if multiple actions kick off at the same time and I will need
to use seperate log files so that they do not trump each other.

Second Question:  So now after talking it out is there a way to get a
unified server side log for all rsync commands executed without having
a daemon running?

thanks

Doug

--
What profits a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?