rsync hangs when accessing through SSH (Leopard OS X)

Izidor Jerebic ij.list at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:50:46 GMT 2007

On 3.12.2007, at 9:08, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

> At 15:39 02.12.2007 -0500, Greg Loesch wrote:
>> To preface, I'm running Leopard OSX and am using rsync  version 2.6.9
>> protocol version 29.
>>
>> Whenever I attempt to sync (using rsync obviously) a folder on my
>> local drive to my web server (netfirms.com is my web host) using SSH,
>> the process hangs. I have to force kill it in order to continue using
>> Terminal. I can connect to my server space using SSH just fine by
>> itself, and I ran rsync to sync two folders locally just fine. Is
>> there some special syntax I need to use when using rsync with SSH?
>> I've searched google and the mailing lists, and I didn't find much.
>> I'm fairly inexperienced with Unix, so I believe that I am the
>> culprit
>> of this problem :-)
>
> Please look in the mailing list's archive, rsync stalls keep coming
> up.
> e.g. http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-November/019243.html
> or http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-October/018770.html

This is Mac, so it has nothing to do with common stall problems
(Windows and Cygwin). Except if web company uses Windows for servers
(which I doubt very much).

Try adding more than one -v to rsync arguments (e.g. -azvvvv) and see
if rsync reports anything....

Other than that, if you can connect with ssh to the same username/
server and rsync just hangs, talk to the webhost.

izidor