RSYNC

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Dec 3 04:29:00 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 13:15 +1100, Kevin Johnson-Bade wrote:
> Thanks Matt, I kind of realised it was because the destination had no
> recursion, but adding recursion then changes the meaning of the
> filtering.

It would be more accurate to say that the filtering becomes relevant.
Unless I am mistaken, the non-recursive listing would show only
top-level directories inside DBS.  I don't know how you would see the
Tariff subdirectories included but not the other subdirectories.

> IE I am trying to sync certain files from within a specific folder
> (Tariff), within a folder structure, that is duplicated as multiple
> trees in folders of different names within DBS/

You do want to keep the individual Tariff folders separate, in the same
arrangement as in the source, right?  If you want to merge them into
one, you would do something completely different.

> It seems that when I turn recession on then I have to go through and
> exclude all the holders in which we have no interest.

Yes.  To do this, add a rule like --exclude='/*/*'; put it after the
--include="+ */Tariff/" rule so it has lower priority.

Matt