moderation?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 28 21:38:27 GMT 2007

On 8/28/07, Andre Majorel <aym-cnysr at teaser.fr> wrote:
> Users get to choose between a) having to subscribe once before you
> can post and b) getting spam through the list every day, several
> times a day. As far as I'm concerned, b) is a much bigger
> annoyance than a).

I am not annoyed much by b) because I'm using Gmail, which has a
really good spam filter.  Still, I can see the argument for a).  My
concern is that a user who asks questions about rsync from time to
time may not wish to receive the other discussion occurring on the
list.  (I am in this situation with respect to the git list.)

We should offer a way for users to authorize themselves to post
without receiving list traffic.  One possible solution is for users to
subscribe but disable their mail delivery.  If this is to be the
official solution, it should be mentioned on the Web site.  However, I
think I noticed once that posting to a list re-enables one's mail
delivery, which would be a problem.  This message doubles as a test of
the effect of a post from me on my mail delivery enablement.

Matt