Rsync on Mac OS X

Michael Reynolds neufurth_bernd at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 16:56:02 GMT 2007

Hello,

I am using rsync at Mac OS X for synchronizing
pictures for our two offices. Unfortunatelly yesterday
the script stops working. Here is little workarround.
The script select every file from folder A and write
it to PENDING-FILES file. Than RSYNC take from
PENDING-FILES every line (file) and transfer to folder
B on different machine. Unfortunately some Mac user
created folder started with "Bullet" symbol
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%A2) (e.g.
stops and nothing is transfered. Is something wrong
with script or RSYNC ? (see bellow complete script).
Thanks for help in advance.

Jason

#!/bin/bash -x

in="/Volumes/Pictures/Photos"
out="user at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/Volumes/Pictures/Photos/"

echo "script called $0 $1 $2"

cd "$in"

for i in *
do
  if [ $(lsof | grep -c "$i") = "0" ];
  then
   echo -n "-- Parsing $i"

   if [ ! -s .pending_files ];
   then
     echo "Pending:" > .pending_files
   fi;

   if [ $(grep -c "$i" .pending_files) = "0" ];
   then
    echo "$i" >> .pending_files
    echo "sending $i"
    rsync -vctzER -e ssh --timeout=600 --progress
"$i" "$out"
    if [ "$?" = "0" ];
    then
       echo "$i" >> .sent_files
    else
       echo -n "-- File $i transfer failed" | logger
       grep -v "$i" .pending_files >
.pending_files_new
       mv .pending_files_new .pending_files
    fi;