--append option description in manpage confusing

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Aug 11 17:21:33 GMT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 08:40:30AM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Thus, rsync wants to make sure the entire files are identical so as
> not to deceive those future runs.  Wayne, was this your thinking?

That was the idea -- still compute a full-file checksum so that we know
the file is OK after the transfer.  However, it does slow things down,
and if the already-present data is known to be correct, it's not needed.

I'm thinking about having a way to specify that the --append option
should just skip past the already-present data without checksumming it.
Perhaps an --append-fast option?