Transport Performance / Protocol Overhead (remote shell vs daemon)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Aug 11 17:00:43 GMT 2007

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 10:42:56PM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> 1a. rsync -e 'ssh -l sshuser' --rsync-path='nc localhost 873 #'
> daemonuser at host::module/ ...
>
> ("nc localhost 873 # --daemon --server ." is invoked over ssh, the
> right part being commented out.)
>
> 1b. RSYNC_CONNECT_PROG='ssh -l sshuser host nc localhost 873' rsync
> daemonuser at foo::module/ ...
>
> Wayne: you might like to mention one or both of these on
> http://rsync.samba.org/firewall.html .

Thanks!  I have finally added 1b to the firewall manpage.  I chose to
not include 1a.  I also extended (and documented in the man page) the
RSYNC_CONNECT_PROG environment variable.  It now supports a %H escape
for the hostname that allows the hostname from the rsync command to
affect the command that is run.  Cool stuff!