rsync permissions and directory issues

Roni Gordon rgordon at uhnresearch.ca
Tue Aug 7 15:03:50 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm running the following rsync job via cron:

rsync --recursive --compress --human-readable --progress --update
--perms --chmod=a-w -e "ssh -i /rsync-key"
user at host:/source_dir/ /target_dir

rsync: failed to set permissions on "/target_dir/.": Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: failed to modify permissions on "/target_dir/.": Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: failed to set permissions on "/target_dir/.": Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1385) [generator=2.6.9]

The rest of the files are rsync-ed correctly.

Do I need to leave off the trailing slash on the target dir? I don't
actually want to touch this directory, just rsync its contents...

Any thoughts?