Rsync for hp 3000

Chris Lewis clewis at nortel.com
Wed Apr 25 18:56:47 GMT 2007

Robert Denton wrote:
> Good luck getting IIRC to compile.  If I recall correctly, it is nearly
> impossible. ;)

My IIRC is impossible to compile.  It's suffering from continuous bit
rot, and there's no checksums...  The last successful compilation was
over 50 years ago ;-)

[IIRC is shorthand for "If I recall correctly" ;-)]

The big hint is compilation and execution of rsync in the_Posix_
environment.

Given the difficulties you might have getting rsync to login to the
HP3000 automatically (the HP3000s I'm aware of have two layers of login
- the main OS _isn't_ Posix), you may not have any choice but to use SSL
so that you can connect to an rsyncd daemon using certificates.

Even internally, I wouldn't dream of allowing unauthenticated access to
rsyncd.  Even if the machines weren't in-scope for Sarbanes-Oxley audits
as ours are.