Problem handling future timestamps?

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Fri Apr 20 02:24:56 GMT 2007

Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:20:59PM +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:
>> I use rsync as a backup tool (via rsnapshot) and noticed that it had a
>> problem with a couple of files which had timestamps way off in the
>> future.
>
> That's a unix-time limitation.  The current timestamp resolution can't
> represent anything past January 18, 2038.  Fixing that won't be simple,
> but should not really be needed for quite a few more years.

Which is what they said about y2k. People never learn. *sigh*

(To clarify, as my use of the word "troll" in my last message was
misunderstood, I assume by non-USENET users, I am referring to the utter
lack of OS support. Obviously rsync can't do very much until the OS
vendors get their acts together.)

--
Carson