Problem handling future timestamps?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:19:00 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 10:30 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:20:59PM +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:
> > I use rsync as a backup tool (via rsnapshot) and noticed that it had a
> > problem with a couple of files which had timestamps way off in the
> > future.
>
> That's a unix-time limitation.  The current timestamp resolution can't
> represent anything past January 18, 2038.  Fixing that won't be simple,
> but should not really be needed for quite a few more years.
>
> ..wayne..

The particular problem I see where the timestamps 1940 != 2076 is due to
a 64 bit time_t. On such platforms, increasing the modtime protocol
entity from 4 to 8 bytes is sufficient to fix this. The patch attached
works for me although i'm sure more would need to be done to support
backwards compatibility etc.

The code also does not attempt to support 64 bit timestamps on 32 bit
systems, which would certainly be more complicated.

	Jon