Problem handling future timestamps?

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 19 16:20:59 GMT 2007

I use rsync as a backup tool (via rsnapshot) and noticed that it had a
problem with a couple of files which had timestamps way off in the
future. You can reproduce the problem quite simply:

$ touch -t 207608011200 foo
$ rsync -a foo bar
$ ls -l foo bar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jburgess jburgess 0 Jun 26  1940 bar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 jburgess jburgess 0 Aug  1  2076 foo

Since the timestamp appears different between the original and the
backup, I get a new copy of the file in every backup.

This was with rsync-2.6.9 on a FC6 x86_64 machine running linux-2.6.20
on an ext3 filesystem. I see the same on a freshly compiled 3.0.0cvs
version too.

	Jon