why does --size-only not detect change only is size (but also time)?

CSights csights at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 19 00:40:40 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 19:55, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:37:44PM -0400, CSights wrote:
> > #rsync -ani --size-only Untitled.pdf Untitled-2.pdf
> > .f..t...... Untitled.pdf
>
> The file was not transferred (since there was not '<' or '>' in the
> first character).  The time was changed due to the --times option being
> implied by -a.
>
> ..wayne..

Oops,
	Yes, the file was not actually transferred because I used the -n option.  My
mistake, I was using -n to show what would happen and confused things.
	I also understand that the file's time would be updated with no -n
because --times was specified.
	Sorry for the confusion! :)

	My confusion is that when using --size-only only the size should be used by
rsync to decide whether the files are different.  In this case the files'
sizes are the same, but the times are different.  rsync must be looking at
the files' times as well, which seems to contradict the manual page.

--size-only
	[...] With the --size-only option, files will not be transferred if they have
the same size, regardless of timestamp. [...]

Thanks again,
	C.