rsync daemon only accessable as root

Peter van Leuven peter.vanleuven at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:44:18 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to setup an rsync daemon such that I can synchronize my home pc
(or other remote system) with my pc at work. I'm fairly new to linux and am
just starting to learn its amazing possibilities. I followed an online
toturial to create a rsyncd.conf file which reads:

#motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log

pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid

lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

refuse options = delete

[test]

        path = /home/user/test

        comment = rsync test

        use chroot = yes

        gid = nobody

        uid = nobody

        read only = no

        list = yes

        auth users = user

        secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

        # Limit access from LAN

        hosts allow=127.0.0.1, <home-ip>

        hosts deny=*

Then I start the daemon as: sudo rsync -daemon (as user it doesn't seem to
start).

Now when I am at home I can only access the daemon using:

rsync -av -e "ssh -l root" user@<host-ip>::test /dest

i.e. it will only function as root, which is undesirable. I'd like to use
something like:

rsync -av -e "ssh -l ssh-user" user@<host-ip>::test /dest,

but this produces the error

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)
[receiver=2.6.8]

What am I overlooking? I hope someone can help me,

Regards,

Peter