HTTP encapsulated rsync??

Robert Denton robert at headsprout.com
Tue Apr 17 20:31:22 GMT 2007

This is an interesting idea.  Here is what I am trying:

I have set up squid to listen on port 81, since rsync on the same
machine is already listening for requests on 80. I have set the
RSYNC_PROXY env var to the hostname:81 and rand a quick test.  The
result is that I am getting this error:

bad response from proxy -- HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable
rsync: failed to connect to 192.168.233.56: Success (0)

I am thinking this is a problem with the squid config not passing the
rsync request to the rsync daemon.

Another though occurs to me:  many of the clients are behind enforced
proxies of their own, set via an env var: http_proxy.  Is this going
to work with the RSYNC_PROXY? Since the rsync proxy is pointing to an
http port on a server, will the request automatically be channeled
through the enforced http_proxy?

Robert