xattrs questions

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Apr 7 16:43:34 GMT 2007

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 09:18:50AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> There is already compatibility code in place that makes sure that
> everyone is transmitting xattrs in a namespace, so Mac xattrs get
> transmitted with a "user" namespace prefixed.

I should also point out that xattrs from non-user namespaces that get
sent to a Mac get stored inside a special rsync namespace.  This keeps
them from getting in the way of the "user" items on the Mac side, and
ensures that all the xattrs have the same values in a reverse copy.  The
"system" namespace is always ignored (since it holds things like ACLs on
some systems), and non-user namespaces are only used if the receiver is
running with super-user privileges.  (See also the fake-super.diff in
the patches dir.)