Preventing non-root users from transferring root owned files

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Apr 5 22:53:53 GMT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:54:19AM -0700, rcorujo wrote:
> What options do I need to use so that root can copy root owned files, but
> non-root users cannot copy root owned files?

You need a separate module configured for non-root access (give it a
uid/gid of nobody or some other normal user).  A daemon can't tell what
user is running the remote program, so it always runs as the user you
tell it to run as.  Of course, the other option is to not use daemon
access, but a remote shell (such as ssh) to enforce user permissions
that way.