rsync backup - order by size

Ty Miller tyronmiller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 00:46:26 GMT 2007

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that this worked perfectly.

If the rsync guys would like a copy of my backup script for their examples
page, or anything like that, then I am happy to sanitize it and pass it on.

It performs the following functions;

The backup script implements a 31 day rotating incremental backup. The
incrementals will go into subdirectories named after the day of the month
(1,2,3,...,31) and the current full backup goes into a directory called "0".
(This was named "0" because the Windows version of rsync/cygwin has
limitations on the filename length.)

A log file is kept, which is parsed at the end of the backup to determine
whether any errors have occurred. If so, then an email is sent to the
administrator containing the backup errors.

The script uses the --partial option so that if a transfer is interrupted
then partially transferred files will be kept so they can be continued on
the next transfer. I also added a check for a "connection reset" error so
that the backup is automatically kicked off immediately if the connection
drops out and alerts the administrator.

Large files were causing smaller files to not be backed up daily cause the
large files were taking longer than a day to complete. It now performs two
passes of backups for small and large files. The small files get backed up,
and then the large files start getting transferred. The next time the backup
gets kicked off it kills the large file backup if it is still running,
alerts the administrator, and restarts the process again so that the small
files get backed up, then the large files backup starts off where it left
off.

The large files were also causing issues with network performance, so a
bandwidth limit has been implemented for both small and large file
transfers.

Thanks again for your help,
Ty