Improvements to --progress in man page

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 01:25:02 GMT 2006

On 9/22/06, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> Thanks!  Those are some good changes.  I tweaked the text a little bit
> more, and committed the result.

Looks good.

I notice you took out both references to the "overall transfer",
presumably to avoid confusion with transfers of individual regular
files.  If that is the goal, the man page contains many other
occurrences of "transfer" that refer to the entire run; you might want
to change those as well.

When I said "169 of the 396 files in the overall transfer have not yet
been considered by the receiver", I was trying to include all the
things recv_generator can do.  However, since the progress message
indicates where the receiver (not the generator) is in the file list,
perhaps your language is more correct.

That reminds me: we need a term that refers to both the receiver and
the generator, or we need to rename the receiver to the "transfer
receiver" so that we can say "receiver" to refer to both it and the
generator.

Matt