Rsync order of maginitude slower with twice as large directory

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Sep 20 21:16:39 GMT 2006

I am in the habit of syncing my /usr/local tree over several computers
(all Mac OS X). Recently my /usr/local tree has doubled in size, from
300,000 files to 600,000 files because I have added a large subversion
checkout (TeX Live). As a result, rsync has become a time hog. Instead
of a minute or two or so to calculate what needs to be sent over,
suddenly this process takes 18-20 minutes, 10-20 times as long for
twice the tree. If I use --exclude to skip the subversion tree, the
process goes back to a minute or so.

How can I find out what causes this?

I am using rsync 2.6.0 with Kevin Boyd's HFS+ extensions, because one
of the systems runs OS X 10.3.9 and does not have a recent
Apple-provided HFS+-aware rsync.

Thanks,