rsync and posix_fadvise

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 20 20:28:12 GMT 2006

Hi,

I use rsync for hardlink-backup ... since I run this quite
frequently, linux happily fills its cache with stuff that should
not realy go there .... I have set /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to 0
which helps, but since this acts across board it is not ideal.

Better would be to use posix_fadvise to POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED drop
the cache while reading and writing to disk ...

I did not find anything in the archive on this ... has anyone
attempted to implement this ?

cheers
tobi

http://tobi.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902