rsync re-link instead of delete/copy?

Allasso kevinhj at imap.cc
Sun Sep 17 15:54:18 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am using rsync to do daily backups on another filesystem.

Whenever a folder has been renamed or moved on the source, rsync will delete
all the recursive files on the destination filesystem, and then recopy them
to the newly named/moved folder. This can take a long time.

Is there a way to get rsync to simply re-link the files instead?

It looked like maybe the -H option might, but I am not really sure how that
works. Also, it says that using this option would tend to take longer.