File Locking under Windows - a solution ?

Michael Pickard mpickard at visitlondon.com
Tue Sep 5 13:24:02 GMT 2006

We are currently using Rsync (with cygwin) to propagate static files
from a preview server (Windows) to our live servers (Windows) on demand.

Unfortunately, because the live servers are *live*, inevitably some of
the files we mean to update are in use and therefore locked by the
windows filesystem. Since they are locked, they are not updated, and our
servers get out of synch.

Does anyone know of a way this locking can be overridden ? - is it
possible to 'force' updates ? it is important that all live servers have
identical filesystems.

There is an option to bring down each server, update the relevant
directories, and bring the server back up: but this is highly
undesirable. Updates are daily at least, and sometimes may occur
half-a-dozen times a day.

TIA,

Michael.

Michael Pickard
Software Engineer
Visit London
6th Floor,
2 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2RR

Tel:  +44 (0)20 7234 5857
Fax: +44 (0)20 7234 5751

www.visitlondon.com

Visit London is the official visitor organisation for London. Visit London is partly funded by Partnership, the Mayor's London Development Agency and the Association of London Government.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not of Visit London. We reserve the right to read and monitor any email or attachment entering or leaving our systems without prior notice.