Extended attributes in MacOS X

Victor Shoup shoup at cs.nyu.edu
Thu Oct 26 09:58:45 GMT 2006

I'm glad to see rsync may finally be getting proper support for
extended attributes
on OSX (since apple's own implementation of this is notoriously buggy).
I'm wondering, though:  does the xattr code avoid copying, or even
comparing
hashes of, the xattr data itself?  Especially on OSX there can be a
lot of this stuff,
and it would be nice if changes in the xattr's were detected quickly
by looking at something like
modtime and filesize, just like for regular files.  I don't even know
if this is possible,
as this data may not even be available for xattr's.

   -- Victor