Extended attributes in MacOS X

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Oct 26 02:01:08 GMT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 09:10:46PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> I've attached the patch. You need to apply acls.diff and xattr.diff
> first, and run autoconf/autoheader after.

Great!  I've taken your code, tweaked it a little, and then did some
bug-fixing of the xattr code in general (I found some buffer problems
quickly using valgrind).  The end result is now in CVS and in the most
recent "nightly" tar file (see the download page of the website).

The OS X version transmits a unique prefix of "user.0S%." for any
attribute name that doesn't start with "user." or "system.".  It also
strips this prefix when received.  This should make the code interact
well with Linux/Un*x systems.  Please try it out and let me know if
you find any problems.