Extended attributes in MacOS X

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Oct 25 17:58:46 GMT 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 05:57:38PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> My question: is this useful? should I prefix all MacOS EAs with 'user.'?

I'd love to see such a patch, as this is the direction that I'd like to
see rsync take in handling MacOS extended attributes.

As for prefixing all MacOS xattrs with "user.", we'd need to come up
with some rules that would preserve the xattrs for all data paths:
Mac -> Mac, Mac -> Posix -> Mac, and Posix -> Mac -> Posix.  So, a Mac
receiver would need to be able to differentiate what entries needed the
extra prefix stripped, and which did not.  So, perhaps adding something
like "user.N0nP0s1%." to any non "user." data (that's NonPosix spelled
with 2 zeros, a one, and a percent).  That would make the stripping
rule pretty straight forward on the Mac side.