exclude directory with wildcard ...

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Oct 24 15:16:17 GMT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:45:04AM +0200, Fink Oliver wrote:
> what do I have to put in my "backup-excludes-file"
>
> what i woul like is:
> /data/web/backup*/

That works fine if your transfer root is "/".  If it is /data, drop the
"/data" dir, if you are copying /data/web, drop both dirs, like this:

--exclude "/backup*/"

The names that you see output via -v are the names that need to go into
the exclude file, usually with a slash prepended (to anchor it at the
top of the transfer).  Ending the exclude with a '/' makes it match only
directories.