tcl/tk rsync wrapper planned

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Oct 17 16:50:28 GMT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, pobox at verysmall.org wrote:

> Chuck Wolber wrote:
> > I've always wanted to have an api like that, but I've always been wary
> > of chasing protocol changes. A wrapper is the simplest way, but it's
> > still a bad approach IMHO. librsync is sort of a good idea too, but
> > the idea still chases the protocols, and it looks pretty dead to boot.
> >
> > How do we get rsync itself to expose a language independent
> > programmable API that's cleaner than the fork/exec/commandline model?
> > What would such a thing even look like?
>
> Actually what we thought was to call rsync on the command line. I do not
> know if this is considered bad style. But it is better than replicating
> the rsync know-how into another piece of code - I would consider this as
> madness.

I don't consider calling rsync from the commandline a clean approach, but
I do consider it the only realistic option currently.

I would never consider replicating rsync know-how in another piece of
code. That's what I mean when I say "chasing protocols". It's a waste of
time. The rsync client has a hard enough time as it is syncing protocols
with itself.

> We are thinking more about GUI wrapper which is nice for end-users and
> is specifically created for the service we mentioned in the beginning -
> easy creation of remote backup services. This means - somebody with
> server architecture can simply give this application to their clients
> (may be with hard coded server address) - so the only thing they need to
> do is to choose what to backup and to be able to browse the backup in
> order to restore.
>
> Is this different from what you initially imagined?

Yes, completely different. Good luck! And yes, I agree that a Tcl/tk
implementation is probably the right way to go for what you're doing.

..Chuck..

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR