Migrate Mac data from G4 to Novell Linux (SuSE) cluster on a SAN

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 04:55:03 GMT 2006

On 11/27/06, Solverson, Chris <CAS5 at deltafaucet.com> wrote:
> We are trying to move all the Macintosh data from a G4 server to a Novell
> Linux Cluster.
>
> We have used Rsync to mirror the data from the Mac Server to the SAN that
> the Novell Linux Cluster it is using.
>
> We found that special attributes

Next time rsync does something wrong, please send us the actual error
messages so we have some hope of figuring out what is causing the
problem!  I can only guess:

If you want to back up special Mac attributes, you need either Apple's
customized version of rsync (which will save the attributes to ._*
AppleDouble files on the destination) or a very new version of rsync
with extended attribute support (which will save the attributes to
Linux extended attributes on the destination).  Wayne, please correct
me if I am mistaken.

> and characters did not sync.

If special characters in filenames did not sync due to a difference in
character sets, you might try iconv.diff, an experimental patch that
adds support to rsync for converting filenames between character sets.
 It is available here:
    http://www.opencoder.net/iconv.diff
For more information, try:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=rsync+iconv+site%3Asamba.org

> When trying another Rsync with the Novell SAN volume mounted on the Mac
> server, it gives different errors, stating file name too long or protocol
> incompatibility.

I have no idea what is going on here without seeing the actual error messages.

Good luck!

Matt