Busy file and partial transfer??

Max Kipness max at assuredata.com
Mon Nov 20 17:35:26 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 07:56:36PM -0600, Max Kipness wrote:

>> rsync: read errors mapping
>> "/cygdrive/E/Users/HomeFolders/mike.xxxxx/OutlookFiles/Mike6-24-06backup
>> .pst": Permission denied (13)

>This means that rsync got an error reading the file from the source, so
>the transfer was discarded.  You need to just figure out why rsync
>doesn't have permissions to read all the data in that file.
>
>..wayne..

Thanks for the response Wayne.

The problem is that there is NO permissions issue. For some reason Rsync thinks there is because the file is in use. If the user closes Outlook, the file backs up fine. But with other files that are in use, Rsync properly states that the file is in use.

I tested this on two different computers with Outlook open (pst in use), and Outlook closed (pst not in use), and the results were the same.

Do you know of any other way around this issue? I need a way for rsync to report file in use, so I can take the appropriate action afterwards.

Thanks,
Max