rsync 2.6.9 on OS X. files with xattrs don't retain mtime.

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Mon Nov 20 14:40:20 GMT 2006

On Nov 11, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> So, perhaps the sensible thing to do is just assume that the mtime
> is changed if you call set_xattr at all?
>
>> Or have the set_xattr()
>> function change the value of the sxp->st.st_mtime variable, and
>> have the
>> regular mtime-setting code come after the xattr-setting code.
>
> That makes the most sense to me, as long as there are no side-
> effects to putting the mtime code later.

I was looking at how best to do this, when I noticed a few things:
1. 'updated' in set_file_attrs is used to indicate that the file meta-
data was changed and thus things like --link-dest cannot use a hard-
link, correct?
2. currently if there are any xattrs on a file, it always sets 'updated'
     --> i don't find sending the xattrs over the wire to be a big
deal, since they have to rather short on most filesysterms
          however, not making the hard-link is quite costly if the
file is large, simply because it has an extended attribute
Have I understood this correctly?

If so, the fake-super patch should only set updated=1 if the meta-
data it writes differs from the old meta-data.

Is this the issue that's blocking xattrs being merged into the trunk?