Assembly md4 algorithum.

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Nov 6 05:35:10 GMT 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:28:52AM +0000, thomas david  clarke wrote:
> Would the asm md4 implementation used by Shareaza (under the GNU GPL)
> be appropreate to use in order to accelerate rsync?

Since that would appear to compile with masm, we'd need a version that
compiled with something more like gcc/gas.  Or perhaps the md4core.S
file from the 1.5.12 release of Botan would be a better fit?  It would
be interesting to be able to do a speed comparison to see if we could
lower the CPU use in any kind of a significant way.

Something to keep in mind:  older versions of rsync had bugs in the MD4
handling, so a new implementation would need to either duplicate the old
bugs (based on the protocol_version) or rsync would have to drop support
for anything prior to protocol 27 (which was first supported in 2.6.0).