Xattr on FreeBSD ... Good Luck ?

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Thu Nov 2 04:10:13 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> > No, but others are using 'reverse-DNS naming style' and this seems
> > to be standard-ish. That means a '.' and not a '%'.
> > Did you check the second link in my original email?: http://
> > www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CommonExtendedAttributes

Heh ... just so we're all on the same page here ... you've _totally_ lost
me.  I don't want to get in the way of this code-fest, but if you would
clarify something for me I would appreciate it greatly:

I don't know what acls are, honestly.  I don't know what extended
attributes are.  I don't much care.

All I know is, I have a FreeBSD backup server, and some dude in creative
wants to rsync his stuff up and _maintain_ the fancy little OSX meta-data,
etc.

So all I need to know are:

1. Is this even my problem ?  Can I just stay at 2.6.6 and this is all
just a client side patch on his end ?

2. If it _is my problem_, does 2.6.9 with acls and xattr solve this, or do
I need to follow you down this road of "not sure if it works on freebsd
yet" ?

Again, I apologize for my cluelessness and for opening this can of worms -
I just wonder what the shortest path from A to B is ...

Many thanks.