Building file list takes hours,how to improve performance?

woo robbin robbinwooo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:01:07 GMT 2006

Hi there,

I've backed up some files(about 20G,with many subdirectories and files) a
months ago to an USB drive,and I use rsync to check if there are
changes.After the process,I checked the log file and found no update
needed.But the stats said:

Number of files: 61775
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 24169314260 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 2260510
File list generation time: 8631.470 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 2288918
Total bytes received: 28412
sent 2288918 bytes  received 28412 bytes  133.34 bytes/sec
total size is 24169314260  speedup is 10429.81

That's awful,how to improve file list generation performance?