rsync shows poor throughput vs. scp

Marty Mulligan marty at webmayhem.net
Wed May 24 19:29:12 GMT 2006

hi all- been reading through the archives but I still can't seem to find
a solution to my problem.  I am using rsync to keep mirror copies of
content which is being served (via http) on both the sender and receiver.

The files on average are 20-50mb each, (mostly already in a compressed
format... mp3, etc) and both sender and receiver pushes around 30mbps on
average.

the sender is a Celeron 1.3GHz with 1GB RAM
receiver is an AMD 1.2GHz with 1GB RAM

Both have dual IDE drives configured for software RAID0

When I initiate an rsync from the receiver, the file list is built in
around / under 1 minute, and the transfer proceeds at around 500K/s

This seems very slow since the machines are on the same subnet and
sitting right next to each other in the same datacenter.  While this
rsync is running, I open a second terminal and do an scp, again
initiated from the receiver copying from the sender, and the transfer
proceeds at around 5MB/s!

Why is scp /so much faster/ than rsync here?  Is there anything I can do
to improve the speed of these transfers?

Fwiw, this is the rsync command I'm issuing:

rsync -azL --whole-file --stats --progress --delete sender::my_files
/test_destination

and rsyncd.conf on the sender looks like:

use chroot = no
max connections = 10
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
motd file = /etc/rsync/rsyncd.motd
timeout = 300
transfer logging = yes
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
log format = %t %h (%a) %m %l %b %o %f

[my_files]
uid = root
path = /my_files
max connections = 5
read only = true
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24
dont compress = *
list = false

MUCH respect and appreciation to anyone who can help!

Thanks,

Marty