Problem with rsync-2.6.8 and -c (checksum)

Andreas Fehr andreas at mrs.ch
Wed May 24 16:34:44 GMT 2006

On Wednesday, 24. May 2006, 09:07, Wayne Davison (as WD) wrote:

>WD: On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:56:54AM +0200, Andreas Fehr wrote:
>WD: > I'm back with my -cav and rsync does not copy files, even if I've
>WD: > touched them.

/opt/rsync/bin/rsync -cav
--link-dest=/home/user/backup/old
            /home/user/source
            /home/user/backup/new

>WD: Are you copying into an already populated destination directory?

/home/user/backup/new is an empty directory
/home/user/backup/old is the last used backup directory

(both have a time and date in the name and so, new is always an empty
directory)

>WD: It sounds like it.  When --link-dest is used to create a new
>WD: hierarchy, rsync will only hard-link items that have identical
>WD: preserved attributes, which means that it won't hard-link a file
>WD: that is going to have a different time if -t was specified, and the
>WD: same thing occurs for permissions, group, and ownership if they are
>WD: preserved.

All my files (even the touched files) get linked (they keep the old
timestamp of the first copy):

/home/user/backup/old-01/file (date x) <-- hard link, no change of
/home/user/backup/old-02/file (date x)     attribute
/home/user/backup/old-03/file (date x) <-- I touch the source
/home/user/backup/old-04/file (date x) <-- the files are hard linked
/home/user/backup/old-05/file (date x)     (not copied, thus, they
/home/user/backup/old-06/file (date x)     keep their timestamps)

So all the files have the 'original' timestamp of the first backup (as
in old-01). This is ok, as the checksum did not change.

I hope, this makes it clear. I don't know, whether this is the intended
function or not. It's certainly a feature that I like. Please let me
know, if you intend to change this behavior so I can adjust my script
accordingly.

Thanks,
Andreas