Problem with rsync-2.6.8 and -c (checksum)

Andreas Fehr andreas at mrs.ch
Wed May 24 05:56:54 GMT 2006

On Tuesday, 23. May 2006, 18:04, Andreas Fehr (as AF) wrote:

>AF: >WD: > Well, I changed '-a' to '-rlpgoD' (according to the man
>AF: >WD: > page, it maps to '-rlptgoD'). But now it's worse.... each
>AF: >WD: > call of rsync copies all the files from source to new.
>AF: >WD:
>AF: >WD: As Matt mentioned, this was fixed recently in CVS.  The fix
>AF: >WD: can be applied to 2.6.8 via the attached one-line patch.
>AF:
>AF: I'll try the attached patch and let you know.

Thanks, with the patched applied, it works as expected!

But.... it looks as -c has precedence over the -t part in -a as
described by Paul yesterday:

> The -a also implies -t, so you're telling rsync to preserve
> timestamps. The only way it can do that is by creating a new file, as
> the --link-dest tree has a different timestamp.

I'm back with my -cav and rsync does not copy files, even if I've
touched them. I'm fine with this behavior but I'm not sure, according to
Paul, if it's the idea behind the combination of -t and -c.

Is this some undocumented case or some other case that has to be
corrected? (I prefer -c having precedence over -t)

Andreas