Rsync via ssh hangs on same file repeatedly

Gawain rsync at roundtableinteractive.com
Wed May 24 03:23:51 GMT 2006

At 9:26 PM -0500 on 5/9/06, Tony Abernethy wrote:

>Flames invitied if I'm wrong, but I think you're looking at
>the last file successfully transferred as opposed to the
>first file unsuccessfully transferred.
>
>I think I saw a /var in there
>You get something ungodly long trying to rsync the file that is logging the
>rsync.
>something like
>rsync -av --exclude "log/" --exclude "work/" $name
>/sdb1/2006-04-01-hostname/
>may be in order  (the above is just a "local" copy to a USB drive.
>
>You probably have some timing issues as to whether or not
>rsyncing the log file actually works or is an infinite loop.
>I'd put watching the grass grow at a higher priority than trying to "fix"
>the "problem".

Thanks for your reply. I needed some time to continue testing. It
turned out that the LaCie "Ethernet disk" was the culprit. Something
was causing a timeout during the data write and the process was
hanging up. I've since installed another internal drive in the
machine and we've been happily backing up servers ever since.