cross platform rsync avz lists all directory names in tree

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Tue May 23 09:18:23 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have tried googling and reading the docs and examples but haven't yet
managed to solve this issue.

rsyncing from Mac OS X to FreeBSD and from Linux to Windows XP, with the
arguments avz I get the same thing in the reports (mailed from cron):

path/
path/to/
path/to/directories/
path/to/directories/changedfile.txt
another/path/
another/path/withoutanychangedfiles/
yet/anotherpath/
yet/anotherpath/withoutanychangedfiles/

and so on. With biggish directories this results in huge lists which
have to be trawled through if manual checks are to be made that changed
files were successfully copied/updated.

I have a feeling that this stems from differences in permission/uid/gid
values but haven't managed to find a combination of arguments that give
a useful report. rsyncing between Linux and FreeBSD boxes is fine (of
course).

Can anyone advise how to limit the output to just files/directories that
have been added, removed (if --delete is used) or changed when running
across platforms like this?

TIA.

Please cc me, because I'm not a list subscriber.

Regards,

Peter Risdon.