rsync speed

Julian Pace Ross julian.paceross at gmail.com
Tue May 23 09:21:39 GMT 2006

>>Pushing the file from Windows to Linux over ssh takes around 15 min, with an
>>average speed of ~400Kbps (using --progress).
>>
>>Pulling the same file using the same arguments takes around 45 mins, with an
>>average speed of ~150Kbps.
>>

>Do you mean pulling it back again from Linux to Windows?  Or switching
>machines and pulling it in the same direction from Windows to Linux?
>I'm going to assume the former.

Yep its the former... pushing and pulling from the same Windows PC which
is a P4. The linux server is a PIII....i delete the 350MB file from the
source/dest in turn in order to try it...

>>It seems slow to me (ssh overhead??)
>>

>This depends on how slow (or loaded) your CPU is.  For instance, on an
>old Pentium III 733mhz, the encrypting that ssh does cuts down the top
>transfer speed compared to an unencrypted daemon connection (I think the
>ssh connection was about 33% of the daemon connection, IIRC).

Both CPUs reach a max of 2-3%, so the bottleneck is somewhere else...

>If you're backing-up over a local network, it may well be safe enough to
>dropp the ssh transport of your daemon-style transfers and just run a
>password-protected daemon on your Linux box.

I know, but I'm trying to simulate transfer over an internet conncetion
on my lan first.
I'll experiment further and let you know what I come up with... but I'm
quite sure its something particular to my setup.

Thanks wayne!
Julian