RSYNC unidirectional connection

philippe.zenhaeusern at ubs.com philippe.zenhaeusern at ubs.com
Tue May 16 13:31:39 GMT 2006

Hello,

I have written a nice rsync-tool that synchronises 2 normal server in
both ways. Means a server could be in active mode (send his datas) or in
passive mode (receive the datas). The modes can be changed and so on...
That's means, a connection could be established from both systems to
each other.

Connection in both directions:
==============================
Server A  <---> Server B

Now I will write a program, that synchronises also two servers but only
in one way. One server is in the intranet zone and the other in the
internet zone. The challenge in this exercise is, that a connection
could only be established from the intranet server to the internet
server, but not in the other direction. Connections from the internet
server to the intranet server will be blocked by the firewall.

Connection in one direction:
Server A  ----> Server B

My Question: Is it possible to configure rsync with ssh to do this (one
direction sync)? I'm not sure, but in my opinion rsync needs to be able
to connect both systems? I thank you for you help.

Greets

Zeno