New option: --progress-newline

Ryan T. Sammartino ryan.sammartino at gmail.com
Sat May 13 07:56:07 GMT 2006

> Well... shouldn't be that much of a problem? Putting this tr command in
> the pipe should help:

>    tr '\r' '\n'

You assume I am working in a sane environment. :)

> A bigger issue may be that output is buffered when writing into a pipe,
> which means you only get rsync's output when the buffer is full.

Yes, that is exactly this issue (sorry, my original message wasn't
very clear, which is what I get for sending e-mail at 2:30 AM).

Nothing appears in stdout until either a very long time has passed or
the file has completed, which is fairly useless when trying to make a
pretty progress bar for the command-line challenged.

> This is referred to in (long-standing) Debian bug #48108 (see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=48108).

Hmm.  Now why didn't Google turn that up for me?

Anyways, that's a nicer way of doing it, it seems... again, coding at
2:30 AM is not advised.

I'd vote for that patch (or something like it that also includes
updating the man page, etc) to be included (not that my vote counts
for anything).

Cheers.