Usage of a telnet client instead of ssh or rsh

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri May 12 20:41:53 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 21:06 +0200, Dennis Guse wrote:
> 	rsync -av --rsh="telnet.krb5 -afx cube" host:/media /media
>
> telnet: invalid option -- -

Wayne beat me to it.  But I was going to say, you might be able to write
a wrapper script that sends the rsync command and arguments down the
telnet connection for the shell to execute and discards any extra output
produced by the shell while logging in (to avoid the mystifying "is your
shell clean?" message).  For instance, if you know the shell on the
remote host produces 10 lines of garbage during logging in, you could
define something like this:

telnet-rsh:

#!/bin/bash
host="$1"
shift
echo "$@" | telnet.krb5 -afx cube "$1" | tail -n +11

And then pass --rsh=telnet-rsh to rsync.  It will probably take
experimentation to get a clean data path for rsync.

Matt