Post-Win2k3 Upgrade rsync+ssh Permissions Problem

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Fri May 12 01:53:19 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 13:02 -0500, Ernest.Mueller at ni.com wrote:
> After the upgrade, new files getting synced over were unreadable by the Web
> server.
>
> Here's what the permissions look like:
>
> -rwxr-----+ 1 Administrators  mkpasswd    864 Jun  9  1999 yes.gif
> -rwxr-----+ 1 544             401         864 Jun  9  1999 yes.gif

How Cygwin translates the Unix permissions set by the receiving rsync
into NTFS ACLs is beyond me, but this article attempts to describe it:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

Anyway, if telling Cygwin to grant everyone read permission seems to be
enough to solve the problem, pass --chmod=ugo+r to rsync to have it
chmod files as they are transferred.  You need at least rsync 2.6.7 on
the sender for this to work.

Matt