--include-from doesn't include

Davies, Roger Roger.Davies at swiftbrands.com
Wed May 10 21:48:56 GMT 2006

Wayne, thanks for the quick reply.

>You have neglected to add rules to let rsync get down into any of those
>parent dirs mentioned in this rule, so this rule will never encounter
>anything to match.  If you had specified this:
>
>+ Application Data/
>+ Application Data/IDMComp/
>+ Application Data/Mozilla/
>- Application Data/*

[RD] I actually tried this, and it seems the include lines are just
being ignored.  I've tried with the slash and without, as well as adding
from 1 to 3 asterisks in desperation.  Always with the same results, the
include lines are ignored.

SO, this exclude file

+ /Application\ Data/IDMComp/
+ /Application\ Data/Mozilla/
- /Application\ Data/*
- /Cookies/*
- /Desktop/*
- /Favorites/*
- /Local\ Settings/*
- /My Documents/Outlook/*
- /My Documents/My\ *
- /NetHood/*
- /PrintHood/*
- /Recent/*
- /SendTo/*
- /Start Menu/*
- /Templates/*
- .DCOPserver*
- .fonts*
- NTUSER*
- ntuser*
- /*.txt
- /*.exe.*

Is identical (in terms file results) to

- /Application\ Data/*
- /Cookies/*
- /Desktop/*
- /Favorites/*
- /Local\ Settings/*
- /My Documents/Outlook/*
- /My Documents/My\ *
- /NetHood/*
- /PrintHood/*
- /Recent/*
- /SendTo/*
- /Start Menu/*
- /Templates/*
- .DCOPserver*
- .fonts*
- NTUSER*
- ntuser*
- /*.txt
- /*.exe.*

>Other changes I
>assume you want (mainly removing a trailing '*' so that the directory
>is excluded in addition to its content):

[RD] Initially, I left the trailing '*' off, as you are absolutely
correct I would prefer not to get the directory at all.  However, if I
leave the '*' off, rsync is descending through the directory chain as if
there were no exclusion line at all.

>It is also safer to anchor rules that should only match in one place by
>using a leading '/', but I'll let you figure out which ones should get
>that.

I did add some '/' anchors, and added a couple of additional lines with
anchors to exclude.

Thanks
Roger

Important Notice:

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the addressee, you are
notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the
contents is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender by return e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.
Thank you.