--whole-file checksum

Eric Kamm eric at analyticinnovations.com
Wed May 10 14:42:32 GMT 2006

I'm trying to understand an aspect of "--whole-file" behavior.
During a "--whole-file" induced file transfer, is a whole
file checksum performed?

The man page states that *rsync* verifies each transferred file:

     Note that rsync always verifies that each transferred file
     was correctly reconstructed on the receiving side by checking
     its whole-file checksum.

I also read that the *rsync algorithm* is not used when using
the "--whole-file" option:

     -W, --whole-file
     With this option the incremental rsync algorithm is not used and
     the whole file is sent as-is instead.

I realize that rsync!=rsync algorithm, but I just want to be
clear as to whether a whole file check sum is performed during
a "--whole-file" transfer.

Eric Kamm
Analytic Innovations