Rsync backups over the internet

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun May 7 08:04:16 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 21:50:58 -0400, Srinivas Kotapally <ksrinivas at bisil.com> wrote:
> I am use rsync to backup a large filesystem over the internet.  I do an
> incremental backup of the 2 file systems once a day to keep an offsite
> backup.  However, this backup takes about 60 minutes.  Are there some tweaks
> I can do to speed up the backup?  Here is the command I run via cron every
> day:
>
> rsync --exclude-from=/home/backups/rsync/attachments-exclude.lst --delete
> -ave ssh bisil at mysourceserver:/var/attachments/secure/
> /backups/var/varattachments
>
> This size of the source directory is about 7 GB. even though I back up every

7GB? That doesn't even qualify as "large" :-)

> day, it takes about 60 minutes.  There are about 10-50 MB of files that are
> added into the source every day.

Well, you guess it: there's no way to give you some hints based on
your description.

"I copy a dataset of 7GB with rsync. I don not know about the
filesystems used to keep the data, I don't know the mount options
used, I don't know how files change (in data as well as in metadata)
and it takes about 60 min over a link with unknown speed and latency."

Please give us some more hints. One hour over eg. a mobile phone
connection with 9600 Baud (like 1kb/sec) for a dataset which changes
completely would be quite well-working, while one hour with fast disks
over a well-connected site (eg. gigabit internet upstream) with
non-changing data would be catastrophic...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O